Saturday, October 6, 2007

Lone Lake 10/5/2007


Here we go again....back on the ferry and over to Lone. I had been tying flys at my lunch hour all week. When I arrived it was cold out (47 degrees) and the water was calm. The fish were rising close to the boat launch. The clouds smelled like rain but I could see small signs of blue skys. I elected to go without a raincoat.
As I entered the water I had a gameplan of heading to the back of the lake. Like every other day, my game plan quickly changed. The fish were slamming my fly on the corner before I even got to the backside of the lake. I landed 10 fish in the first 2 hours as I slowly worked my way backwards. The most impressive thing is that they were mostly big fish.
My fly was toast after 15 fish or so I went to change. That is when I realized my pliers had fallen down into my waders. I found a cheezey version of the pattern I wanted and put it on and decided to head back to the front of the lake. At that point it didn't matter, I ended up landing another 5 fish.
As I pulled into the boat launch Scooter arrived. I ate a tuna sandwich and BSed for a bit. After that we headed out and he had a fish on immediately. I then landed one shortly there after. As the sun broke out, he kept catching fish and I went cold. I changed up several time and only landed one more fish with a Doc Spratly.
We left about 45 minutes before the fishing was going to pick back up again, but that was fine I was pretty tired from fishing all day. I did happened to pull another fish from the right shoreline just off of the boat launch.
Equipment: 5/6 weigh tLine: Full Sink, 5 weight patterns: Dave Special, Peacock Bugger, Doc Spratley, Green Seal Bugger/ Leech with (red wrap around the head)
Methods: Trolling and mostly stripping at medium slow retrieve

No comments: