Monday, October 1, 2007

Lone Lake 9/30/2007

The forecast called for gusty wind and rain but I had to fish, so I hopped on the 7:00 clock ferry and headed over. When I arrived at the lake it was raining lightly. YES! There was no wind and I had the lake all to myself. After I put in, I did a tour of the cove near the boat launch and it was gunkier than last year at this time. Nada..... no fish, just a couple of little teasing hits. Since the cove was slow it meant either I used the wrong pattern (Dave Special) or I was in the wrong location. I worked my way over to the spot that GUARANTEES fish. On my around the corner I picked up a little 13" bow. Before I went to the GUARANTEE I headed down the shoreline. I remember picking up a 25 inch beast off the shoreline in the fall last year. I casted to the shore 3 consecutive times and got hits but no takes on each try. I wondered why no hook ups? I then changed to a peacock bugger, knowing that the fish are more likely to stay on with this fly. Sure enough, first cast......bam it was a 14 inch largemouth. I hate bass, but this one fought hard and he was a worthy opponent, so I let him return. I casted a couple of times before I headed to the GUARANTEE hole. Now I like the GUARANTEE hole but I am getting tired of trolling. I decided to troll across it before I hit the back side of the lake. Sure enough.... a couple of hits and bam... nice 15 inch bow. I kept going and nailed another fish on the way to the backside. I am guessing I had been fishing for about an hour and a half now. As luck would have it, as soon as I flung my fly at the shore....bam a nice 19" bow hit it. It was hot the rerst of the day. Welp except for the fact that I kept losing fish. I am guessing I had 40 fish on and 17 to 20 to the net.



Equipment: 5/6 weight

Line: Full Sink, 5 weight

Patterns: Dave Special, Peacock Bugger

Methods: Trolling and mostly stripping at medium slow retreive

Weather: light to heavy rain, no wind

No comments: